Because of the nature of an emergency or disaster, government may be limited in its response capabilities. Waseca County citizens are encouraged to be self-sufficient for at least three days should an emergency or disaster occur.
Create your home disaster emergency supply kit –
You may need to survive on your own after an emergency. This means having your own food, water, and other supplies in sufficient quantity to last for at least three days. The following items are recommended for a basic emergency supply kit:
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- At least a three day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
To learn about additional items to consider adding to an emergency supply kit, and for other emergency preparedness topics, click on the logo below.