Flooded Farm

Government Assistance for Minnesota Farmers

Disaster assistance for Minnesota farmers is provided by federal, state and local agencies, including:

Minnesota Department of Agriculture

The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has many programs and resources to assist in recovering from disasters, including the:

  • Disaster Recovery Loan Program
  • Flood Disaster Assistance Program
  • Minnesota Farmers Assistance Network (MFAN)
  • Minnesota Farm Advocates
  • Rural Finance Authority
For details about these resources, visit the Minnesota Department of Agriculture Website.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has a number of agencies that provide an array of disaster resources and programs, including the:

  • Natural Resources Conservation Service
  • Rural Development Agency
  • Farm Service Agency
To learn more about these resources, visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture Website.
Resources for the U.S. Department of Agriculture are managed and coordinated through local  U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency offices.
University of Minnesota – Extension
University of Minnesota Extension Services offers many resources about farm-related disaster, including the:
  • Minnesota Farmer Assistance Network (MFAN)
  • Farm Information Line
  • Crisis Connection
They also provide struggling farm families with  information on health and stress, relationships and communication, and resource management.

Federal Disaster Declaration

When a disaster adversely impacts the agricultural community, a Secretary of Agriculture Disaster Declaration may be made. This declaration will provide a different level of assistance for the agricultural community and is managed through the U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency.